Sunday, August 12, 2007

Camp Tekoa

Recently I had the opportunity to serve for a week at Camp Tekoa as Camp Pastor. What a privilege it was to work with the counselors, PA's, camp nurse, etc. ~ most of which have served all summer long. Yes, most of them are getting paid, but they are true servants as they are mostly gathering treasure in Heaven as they tend to boo-boos, homesickness, anxiety, fear of the unknown, kids that have never been on an adventure before and some drama.

The team had been bonding since May and my arrival in July was so welcoming.

I kept thinking all week why am I here. I really don't like to camp, but I sure am getting a lot of reading done. On Wednesday night I went to the girl's bible study. It was awesome to see a group of 18-20(something) girls gather together and talk about life and how God's word relates to it. I told James he hired well. His PA's knew God's word and how to apply it.

I took some walks and didn't eat sugar the whole week until Friday night at dinner (ice cream). I felt so close to God that week. It was like sitting in His lap.

I don't really care for most hymns. I like some of the words, but feel they are mostly dirges and don't relate to life today. One night after dark a group was cleaning the dining hall and they started singing "It is well with my soul" Wow, what harmony and conviction. You could tell they meant it. Then they added a few other songs. It was such anointed worship by a group of "kids" yielding brooms and mops. How pleased the Heavenly Father surely was at that moment. In the old testament burned offerings cast off a pleasing aroma to God. I know that worship was being offered and God was enjoying the pleasant aroma.

Then on Friday came my divine appointment. First I had an appointment with a hornet that decided he wanted in my hair. We were playing a game during Pastor time and he stung me. I had to go the nurse. Later, I really didn't feel well and it hurt pretty badly. So during rest period (that might have been the best part of camp - rest every afternoon) I stayed in the "lobby" of Little Lodge. Someone sat on the couch with me and shared their life. It was why I was there. We both had similar stories of how one of our parents had passed away. We both healed some during the conversation. Tears were shed. And I came away with a sense that sometimes we are in situations for that one conversation.

God, let us go where you need us to go and let us always be willing to sit and just listen.

No comments: