Thursday, October 18, 2007

Wearing Christianity on Your Sleeve

Last night Mike & I went to Wild Wings for dinner. We like to play trivia. I wish I could report that I beat him, but last night was his night. He won.

I had on my Hallowest Shirt and as we were leaving a girl approached us (she was very persistent) and told us that she was new in town, in a bad place and needed food. Could we go back into the restaurant or meet her at the convenience store and buy her some food? My first thoughts always are why did you leave where you were and come to a new place where you don't know anyone and can't get food? Did you leave the safety (or maybe unsafe) haven at your parents to find freedom and mooch off strangers? Or are you truly in this world alone and needing help from strangers?

We are three blocks from the shelter where they just served a meal. They don't let you in if you are high so it made me wonder. I don't want to perpetuate the homeless epidemic in Asheville; however, it was hard to say no. Also, knowing that on my back was our church name and website. But I honestly feel I do more with my money by giving it to our church to help ABCCM or by giving it to ABCCM than I do by giving it to someone on the street.

All I could think about was Francis Chan at Orange 2007 saying do we love our neighbors as ourselves Matthew 22:39 and will we get to heaven and be asked why we didn't feed Jesus? Matthew 25:40 John 21:15

Anyone any thoughts?

No comments: