Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Camp

Brooklyn is at Art Day Camp this week. I dropped her off yesterday morning and she just went right in. Didn't hug me bye or anything. She went with strangers. Now she did know that I had checked the place out, but she found the college student in charge and went over and was ready to get started. I was sad. She's growing up.

As much as I hated the camps with the tears and the "oh, I don't want to go" when she was younger, it was sad to see the flippant "go away mom, I'm fine." for the first time. There are less and less times of her grabbing my hand as she goes into those "butterfly stomach moments". She's becoming more and more sure of herself. I want her to be a strong young woman and I guess that does mean she can't always rely on me.

I just pray that she is always still going to hold onto the hand of God and trust him and not rely just on her own understanding as she grows up.

I think God allowed me to have that job at Covenant and to love on those sixth graders to prepare me for this stage in parenting. What a challenge.

Guess we can't have our cake and eat it too. At some point they do have to grow up.

No comments: