Friday, June 8, 2007

Would I sacrifice my child

Last night I was on the phone with a friend (I'll keep her anonymous) and she was telling me all about how she enjoys homeschooling her child. The conversation progressed to how the government tries to "control" homeschooling, etc.

She was commenting on how the children at church behave much worse than her homeschooling group. One of the children in the youth group had been busted for cocaine use (thank God they are in the youth group - maybe they will rally around them and help them). My question is how many haven't gotten busted? I mentioned that I had experienced the opposite with homeschooling children that seem to not be able to function in groups.

Then I posed the question of if we continue to take all the christian children out of public schools and put them into either christian schools or home school them how do we expect our public school system to get better? She chimed right in and said I will not sacrifice my child because of other parents lack of discipline with their children (that is a paraphrase, but I think I am close).

I am so glad that God chose to sacrifice His child for us. I don't know that by sending my child to public school I am sacrificing her. I think I am giving her skills that she will need to excel in a work world where most people weren't home schooled.

And I attended "Christian" school. The boys had a way to climb into the ceiling from their bathroom and peep into the girls bathrooms. They also had a system in place to wipe out the Lance man while he was filling our snack machine. And most of my friends that went to school there weren't so pure and innocent. Just because a school says Christian doesn't mean the children inside always portray Christ.

But back to the point of what if God had decided not to sacrifice Jesus for us? That is what He did. Would we be here? Would we still be sacrificing animals for atonement?

I am so thankful for the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you God for sacrificing your son. Thank you for my daughter. Help me know how to educate her so she can know how to behave around others that aren't of the same mindset.

No comments: