Saturday, May 10, 2008

Queen of Asheville (or at least the Mall)






About a month ago I wrote an essay for a Mother's Day Contest on WOXL. I thought it would be cool if mom won.


Tuesday night, Tammy called to tell me that my mom won. She sent me the details. She won lunch with Tammy & her mom (and with the other winners), a $200 gift certificate to the Mall, a hair & makeup makeover and a gift bag. And, she needed to get a cheering section there to root for her as the most extreme makeover and she could win an even bigger prize.


So, she called her friends and many of them showed up. It was great. Thank you to her friends that came.


Guess what, she beat the other five moms and won the Grand Prize. You would have thought she was queen of Asheville!


In her mind she probably was. I could have never spent that much money on her and she wouldn't have allowed the hair cut, etc. (She even took her wig off!) My dad used to buy her frying pans for presents. As I got older I would try to get him to buy better things and occasionally he did (a locket from Kmart).


I'm glad we got to spend that time together and I'm glad she won. She had her 15 minutes of fame and she enjoyed every minute of it. And she looked cool in that outfit!

No comments: