Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Sound

I was sitting at my desk working on deleting old files when I heard a sound coming from one of the rooms close by. I knew the sound. It was very familiar. I don't like to hear that sound because I know what it means.

Grief. It was sobbing. Uncontrollable sobbing.

One of the women I work with lost her mom and Hospice had just called to let her know. She wasn't alone and I knew that. She was quickly surrounded by those who care about her deeply. I had asked about her mom earlier and had told her they serve a great meal on Saturdays at Hospice. Little did I know that 10 minutes later she would find out her mom was no longer here.

I remember hearing that sound and knowing it was me. My dad died on August 8, 2001 (yes, my birthday). He was my hero and when they called me from the hospital to try to get there before my mom I knew what had happened, but they wouldn't tell me over the phone. As soon as I got to the room I heard that noise, that deep sobbing noise. But this time it was coming from a place of familiarity. It was the sound of my cry. Sure, I had cried over the loss of a pet, or family friend. But I had never lost anyone close to me. I was lucky to have my dad with me for 33 years.

It reminds me of the story in the bible where people were paid to weep. I wonder what that sounded like? I can't imagine it was authentic. Do you think paid mourners can authentically grieve? People who weren't touched by the life of the person that has passed away? Jesus asked them to leave the room and then he raised the child from the dead.

Mark 5:37He did not let anyone follow him except Peter, James and John the brother of James. 38When they came to the home of the synagogue ruler, Jesus saw a commotion, with people crying and wailing loudly. 39He went in and said to them, "Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep." 40But they laughed at him. After he put them all out, he took the child's father and mother and the disciples who were with him, and went in where the child was. 41He took her by the hand and said to her, "Talitha koum!" (which means, "Little girl, I say to you, get up!" ). 42Immediately the girl stood up and walked around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished. 43He gave strict orders not to let anyone know about this, and told them to give her something to eat.

I think the mourners were upset. Their job was to mourn and Jesus took away their opportunity. Are you mourning (a lost child, a marriage, a death, etc.) Let Jesus take away the opportunity or heal the hurt. For everything their is a season and there is a season of grief and then there is also a season of JOY!

No comments: