Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Biopsy

Dr. Leblanc said that Dr. Weist's report said my mammogram was negative (which is what the report they sent me said); however, I could see skin thickening on the mammogram. I wonder why they don't report that. She showed it to me. Obviously that is where they think the issue is.



Anyways, the redness had changed and was more prevalent since I initially went to see Dr. Leblanc on the 11th and I could see she was concerned. She also said she could feel more thickening and would feel more comfortable doing a nipple biopsy and a skin biopsy.



I told her to do whatever she felt needed to be done; however, about 2 minutes after I got started down the road from her office I wish I had asked to skip the biopsy. It felt like I was in a clamp and was being twisted. I wouldn't have wished the pain on anyone. I ran to Rite Aid and got Tylenol (I meant to take some with me) and then ran to McDonald's and got a cheeseburger so I could take the Tylenol. I went back to work and worked until 6:00 pm.

It's amazing when I tell someone they say if it is cancer have you considered just cutting them both off? When I was younger I couldn't wait to get boobs. It meant I was growing up. Now, to hear just cut them off?

Well, I'm still waiting. I don't know what the pathology revealed.

I read on a t-shirt the other day that pain is just weakness leaving the body. I don't know if I agree with that or not. Pain is a reminder of how human we are and how much we need a Savior who suffered for us and by His stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

Healing. That will be a post for later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The biopsy is the most important result. Particularly if it was done with the guidance of ultrasound. Did they take core samples? Skin samples? If not, please be sure to ask why. You don't know me, but I was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer (and, later, Paget's!) last year and have spent the last year fighting it. I won. I beat it. It is essential to get a diagnosis and start treatment as early as possible.

If it does turn out to be cancer, come visit us over at Mothers With Cancer... you'll find you're in good company.

Tina Harkey said...

They did take skin samples. There isn't a tumor so they didn't need an ultrasound as there is nothing in the breast - just the skin.