Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fight Like a Girl

My friend Stephanie emailed me the other day and in it she said "Fight like a girl." I've been thinking about that statement.

How do girls fight? We are emotional beings. We cry, we laugh, we stand up for one another. So what makes us fight differently than boys/men?

I think one thing is we use the Internet to research our health issues. My mom didn't have the Internet when I was growing up so she bought a book on diseases (basically so you can see what herb/supplement/vitamin to take for varying things, but also so she could know what the doctor was telling her. She also bought "me" a set of encyclopedias. At the time that was research at my fingertips. The Internet of the 70's - encyclopedias. My dad almost died once before he went to the doctor. Men do that kind of thing - some women do, but it is mostly men.

I think men use their brawn to fight and women use their brains (that is why if we had women leaders there might be less war.)

I think another thing is most women (there are exceptions to everything) don't just point blank accept that the doctor is always right. We know our bodies. That is why many times doctors get frustrated when we know something is wrong and keep going back trying to get them to diagnose us because we "just don't feel quite right".

And we use our network. Men don't discuss health issues. They don't want anyone else to know what their disease is, what they are facing, or what they are going through. Many times their wives are the only ones they depend on to help them fight. Women can make two phone calls or send out an email and have 20 people praying for them in minutes, casserole's in the oven and someone being sent over to get the mail, vacuum the house, clean the bathroom, whatever is needed. That is how women "fight". They use each other (and know that the favor will be returned when it is needed).

I'm proud to be a woman. I'm proud that I fight like a girl.

1 comment:

Stephanie Harris said...

I'm proud to "Fight Like A Girl", too!!!
Why do men choose to fight the fight alone, to not go to the doctor until things are out of control? The same men that sit in front of the big screen and watch team sports...basketball, football, baseball,etc.! They seem to know it takes the whole team working together to win the game, but don't put it into practice!?!
I'm glad "us girls" have fiqured it out!!!! When you need me...I'm ready to be tagged in! We can win the fight! GIRLS RULE!

Love,
Your Teamate
Steph.