Friday, September 26, 2008

Slivers & Cuts

Last night I was watching Grey's Anatomy (Mike didn't watch with me). One of the characters who had been married 40 years said: You sliver and cut pieces of yourself away over the years to fit with the person you are with. You don't know who you are in the end. (paraphrased).

Is that bad? We all change. Is it bad that we are a different person based on who we are with through life? I guess it depends on who we choose. If we chose to hang out with Charles Manson and we cut and slivered away our conscience and were able to commit murder without having any remorse then who we are in the end isn't who we were meant to be.

However, if we chose someone that will help us run the race then we should be better at the end of the journey of life - not worse. Galatians 5:7 Hebrews 12:1-3

1 comment:

Stephanie Harris said...

I saw the same show....I have several friends going through the pain and agony of a husband that decided, suddenly, someone else would make them feel better about themselves.I also watched the Oprah that dealt with "Men and Why They Cheat."
The general thought in both shows was that men sometimes feel unappreciated, or embarrassed by the fact they may have done something that makes them vunerable or less of a man, i.e. job loss, demotion,wife earning more money, death of a friend or relative. Now don't ask me how that works...It was just what they said. I say GROW UP!! I don't remember anywhere in the marriage vows saying..... Okay you have to love and honor, being faithful only to one another..UNLESS, you lose your job, or a friend or relative.
I know I sound harsh, but I have several friends with young children who have been devastated by a husband who has completely wrecked their home. One of these friends, actually said, "I spent my whole married life saying, 'whatever you want', until, I don't even know who I am."
I said all that to say you are right about little slivers and bits and pieces.. You should only let those be shaped by a man that is worthy.. Jesus!
I have a wonderful Christian husband, that I truly believe would have had to have lost his mind before he would purposefuly do something to jeopardize our family. However, I can't be 100percent sure, because he is human. I think we should, as women, love and honor our husbands and, God forbid if the worst happens... We will not say, "I don't know who I am." We will say.... I KNOW WHO I AM! I AM A CHILD OF GOD!