Sunday, March 2, 2008

Important

Each night Brooklyn and I read together and pray together. A couple of years ago we read Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O'Dell. We are now reading his book, My Name is not Angelica.

Island of the Blue Dolphin was one of my favorite books growing up (along with the Box Car Children books). I couldn't wait to share it with her. Alas, she doesn't like to read as much as I do, but she tolerates me reading to her. She does share a passion of historical fiction with me. Hopefully as she grows we can share more books.

Last night when we prayed she said, "Thank you God that there is no more slavery." I haven't told her that there is still slavery, just not legalized in America. We will have that discussion, but I would like to protect her innocence as long as possible.

But it gave me a window into her heart. My Name is not Angelica is about slavery on St. John. It is very detailed about slave punishment, runaways, and slave feelings. It leaves nothing to the imagination. I asked her if she would like to discontinue the book and move on. She said that while it wasn't a great book, she was interested in seeing how it ends. We should be able to finish it by next week by reading a few chapters each night.

Do you have any suggestions of books we could read together after we finish this one?

No comments: