Sunday, March 2, 2008

Movie Review

Last night while perusing the channel listings I found that Secondhand Lion was going to come on Network TV. We have some movie channels, but there wasn't anything on. I thought it would be a great movie to watch with Brooklyn and I was so right.

It's hard to believe that this was a 2003 movie. I really thought it was from last year. With the language I probably wouldn't have watched it with Brooklyn in 2003 when she was five or six. And some of the content probably would have scared her then. But last night was magical as we watched the movie. She figured out some of what was going on before me and said, "Look he's _______." (I don't want to give it away if you haven't seen it.)

The story within a story was brilliant. Great foreshadowing, great suspense, a great look at the fact that boys do need men in their lives - but not just any men - men of character. The plot was well developed as were the characters. I wish I had read this book before watching the movie as I can imagine the book to be even better.

Haley Joel Osment did a great job as Walter a main character. At 13-14 year old, he looked more like 10-12 in this movie. He is a phenomenal actor for his age.

Robert Duvall and Michael Caine also brought such depth to the movie. Their grumpy old men facades melting as the movie progressed. I longed to see more after the great return.

If you don't mind a little fighting and some raw 4-letter-word language then check out this movie. It's a great way to spend 109 minutes watching a PG movie.

No comments: