Sunday, March 30, 2008

Catalyst Greenville - My perception

So this weekend we checked out Catalyst Church in Greenville, SC. Jake Miller, their Financial Pastor - I think that is his title...anyways he does the budgets and stuff), had invited me via facebook and this blog so we went down (and we ate at P.F. Chang's). I emailed Casey (the Lead Pastor) and found that Louie Giglio would be bringing the message for the day (via video).

It was cold, very cold. It got colder as we got further down there. Brooklyn had on shorts and flip flops (I felt like a bad mother, but she begged to wear them).

It's about an hour drive. Not too bad. They meet at Greenville's Little Theatre. They have a greater as you drive in and they have banners at the road (the Garmin had us doing a dance around the place, but the banners took us right in). Their signage is great. We knew exactly where to take Brooklyn.

I didn't think about this Sunday being the weekend after spring break and I would think their crowd was probably off due to that. They are doing a great job in a portable space and I think the move to the school will probably be even better for them.

I enjoyed the music. The leader was very charismatic. I enjoyed the message; although I prefer a live speaker. I wish Brooklyn could have been with us to hear the message as it is so relevant for kids in school to know that God created our world versus what they hear in science. He is ginormous and we make Him big versions of us (put Him in our box) when that's not what He is at all.

After the music the host team came forward and they gave the head of each row a basket. I had to get up and walk mine over to the people on the other end of our isle. That was a little awkward as they didn't reach out and take the basket, but put money in it while I held it. I really wasn't sure what to do with it. Other than that it went smoothly.

Brooklyn said if we lived in Greenville that wouldn't be her pick for a church. (She loves New Spring and she would want to drive there - she asks to go there all the time).

We had a wonderful lunch expect P.F. Changs has taken their dessert Lucky eights off the menu (boo).

Then we drove home after stopping for some Duncan Donuts. I wanted to do a little shopping, but Brooklyn was freezing. We'll go back down sometime this summer and do a little shopping.

So Mike has informed me that we need to be more realistic in our church hunting and look locally. I have found a few options (maybe this one, and possibly this one) for us to try the next couple of weeks and I will be posting reviews. I'm not doing this to be critical, but for others in Asheville (and Greenville) that might be looking to get some insight before they visit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey tina... thanks for coming to check us out! it was great meeting you guys in person!

pull the heels through this weekend, okay!