Saturday, September 1, 2007

Enka Football

Well, the tradition continues. I go to a game and they lose. No, I didn't jinx them it seems to also be their tradition. Enka has an awesome softball team and some of their other sports are very competitive; however, their football team just can't seem to find their groove.

As Stephanie Harris stated in her comment on my last blog the entertainment at the game is the band. I was in the band when I was at Enka. Wow, they have changed. We couldn't wear makeup, have our hair down, we did traditional marching (knees up high) not the shuffling they do today, and we had to paint the soles of those ugly white shoes black. But the band is still playing much of the same music we played; however, they now bring xylophones, bass guitars, keyboards and drum sets on the field. The other similarity is Mr. Lackey did not allow us to use music during the performance. We had to memorize all of it. It appears this band director requires the same.

I was amazed watching the band. I wonder what their formations actually are as we were sitting on the 50 yard line just not far enough to make out the intricacies of their design. It was great to see the camaraderie that I remember from band.

I reminisced. They lost the game. The band was great. Not much different from 20 years ago.

No comments: