Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Biltmore Estate




Today I had the pleasure of thrilling my mom with a trip to the Biltmore Estate. She's (shhhhh...don't tell her I put this on the internet) 68 years old and she had never been. She had a therapy appointment this morning and then I picked her up and we went.


We talked about having lunch somewhere in Biltmore Village, but my favorite restaurant in Asheville is the Bistro at the Winery at Biltmore. So she said she would treat since someone gave us the tickets and we could eat at the Winery.


I dropped her off in front of the house. As we were rounding the corner I asked her if she was ready. She said yes, and then she beemed. She was crying over how grand the house is. Then I dropped her off and went and parked the car. She, of course, found some old friends to talk to and I walked back to the house (my workout for the day).


It was really neat to be with her as she took all of this in. I've been many times and once had the grand opportunity of having a tour with one of the sales managers so they gave me so insider info that I passed along to mom (yes, she thinks her daughter is smart!). When she saw the statues of the apostles she cried. She was just overwhelmed. She loved Ms. Vanderbilt's gold & purple bedroom (mom has a yellow & lavender kitchen). She was in awe of the grand dining hall and all the books and that the library had secret passages. It was really like watching a kid open a present, but to mom is was like opening a while new world. She hasn't traveled that much. She's never been to the other side of the Mississippi River. She's only been to the beach once after a hurricane. So to her this was a way to see things beyond her grasp.


At the Bistro I had Salmon with pistacheos, citrus peel, olive oil & cous cous while mom had a chicken ceasar salad (she isn't very adverterous) and then we had Chocolate Decadence for dessert. Some friends from her church were there and we talked to them for a bit.


Then we went to the winery. My mom doesn't drink so it was funny to watch her tasting wine. I've never in my 38 years had a drink in front of or with my mom...that was weird. She said,
"I'm going to prove to you that I'm not an old fogey." She's so funny.


It was a great day. David & Carol, thanks for the tickets. You made my mom so happy!

No comments: