Thursday, February 28, 2008

The "TV"

It's official. We have a TV too sophisticated for me to use. I left it on all night and was just chastised. I thought I turned it off before I went to bed; however, I only turned off the cable box.

When Mike & I met he had a receiver hooked to a turn-table, CD player, DVD player, cassette tape deck, a television and radio. I never could remember all the intricacies of the set up and would just not use them. That old system is now downstairs since we purchased a 42" plasma this weekend (well he did all the research, buying, setting up, calling Sears to get the real remote, etc.) I thought great we will only have a TV. Boy was I wrong.

Why does everything have to be so difficult? Why do we have to make everything - a purchase of a new TV set - so hard?

Well, you don't only need the actual TV, but then you have to have a new piece of furniture for it to set it on or you have to purchase a wall mount unit. Then you have to upgrade your cable so you can watch the HD channels. Then there is the desire for Blu-Ray and surround sound, but not the necessity.

Do we make church this difficult for new believers? Do we require too much time from them? Do we require more of them then they should be required to give? After leaving a conference when I first started my job at Covenant I was given a magnet with this verse on it. I kept it on my desk at Covenant and now it will go on my fridge.

I guess tonight I will get a lesson in new TV 101.

1 comment:

Sherrye said...

Boy, isn't THAT the truth!! Me too, Tina. I'm so much older than you that you won't probably relate to this, but when I was a little girl (back in the Stone Age) I used to go to the grocery store with my Grandmother. Our choices for cookies were Oreos and Vanilla wafers. Now, one whole aisle is dedicated to cookies! Maybe that's part of the problem..........there are so many choices that the issue becomes overwhelming unless you "keep your eyes on Jesus"!

Like my DH is fond of saying, "KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)