Sunday, February 24, 2008

God at the Grocery Store

We are having friends over to cook wings and watch some Carolina Basketball (for those who live in SC that read this blog that is the only Carolina - UNC). I had to stop at Ingles on the way home from church
this morning and get the chicken.
There was a wait so while I was in line to be cashed out I looked at some magazines and what did I find? I found the Idiot's Guide to Prayer. As a country we are so caught up in how to manuals that we need one on how to have a relationship with our Heavenly Father. Now I realize that everyone doesn't have an easy time with this, but why would you buy a book at Ingles that tells you how to pray? Could it be because the church isn't trusted to help us with spiritual matters anymore? Could it be because our country is so consumer driven that we feel Ingles is more qualified to teach us how to pray than we can learn at church? Is it because we go to small groups versus Sunday School and we don't learn "christian skills" anymore because we are too busy socializing to learn how to live?
I'm not answering the question. I'm asking it. Why do we need a manual besides the Bible to show us how to pray? Can we build a relationship with Father God by reading a book and will that make us smart about how to pray?

4 comments:

Sherrye said...

We don't. Jesus tells us right there in The Book. How was "church" this morning?

Sherrye said...

PS....I hear that Keith is permanent at Skyland now. Their contemporary service is at 8:30.

Tina Harkey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina Harkey said...

Sherrye, I heard about Keith & Skyland. I loved Keith's messages and he was a great leader when he was at Covenant. I just don't know about another denomination. I think (I'll never say never) that I am done with denominational church at least for the time being.